Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thai Week

Ok, I had all intentions on starting this blog way before Christmas. I joined a cooking group and every month there is a challenge, and it needs to be posted yada yada yada. Well, holidays came and went and I did nothing. OOOPS. So whether or not the cooking blog group will still let me participate, I guess I'll find that out later.

But for now, I wanted to share my recipes and experiments. I know my family has enjoyed everything I've cooked, especially around the holidays, and I would like to share a few.

MY GOAL: To post at least once a week. Maybe more, no less.

So, as my official first post, I will start....

A wonderful friend of mine, Catherine, received a cookbook over Christmas. It was called "Quick and Easy Thai" by Nancie McDermott. I looked through it and was in LOVE!! I took it hope and practically copied the entire book--then my husband said "just go buy it!" So that's on my list next visit to St Louis.

So this week is Thai week. Everyday, different recipe, good times. And its quick. And easy. So far everything has been incredible! I just love love love Thai.

Here is the recipe I cooked today:

Crispy Pork Spareribs with Black Pepper and Garlic


2 tablespoons chopped garlic

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (stems and leaves)

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

2 or 3 tablespoons water

3 tablespoons fish sauce

1 teaspoon sugar (but I like sweet Thai, so mine was more like a tablespoon)

2 lbs pork spareribs ("baby" ones worked perfectly)

vegetable oil for deep frying

Grind in a food processor first 4 ingredients. Put in a bowl and add fish sauce and sugar. Ribs--cut into individual pieces. Then put ribs in bowl and pour paste over top, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.

Add about 3 inches to deep-frying pan and bring to temperature of 350-375. Add few ribs at a time, cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Between each batch, make sure oil is back up to the right temperature. Remove ribs and place them on paper bags (to soak up grease). When ribs are all done, place on a platter and garnish with fresh cilantro.

I served mine with jasmine rice and sauteed asparagus. Pure Yumminess.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...