Friday, April 22, 2011

Corn Casserole

This is one of my "classics" and one I don't need a "recipe card" for. Its easy, simple and amazing delicious. I learned to cook this in college before I even knew how to cook anything else. My Aunt was the one who introduced me. I would cook this dish, and only this dish, and eat it for lunch the whole week. Its a perfect leftover--and sometimes its best as a leftovers (if it isn't entirely consumed during the meal--which happens!). Its very versatile, and easy to double for large clouds. I especially like to make it around "holidays" and I'll defiantly make it for Easter lunch.

CLASSIC CORN CASSEROLE

I didn't think about "pictures" when I stuck my fork in it to test its doneness. Ooops =)

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
8oz sour cream
1 can cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 box jiffy corn muffin mix

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, then pour in into a 9x9 or 9x13 GREASED pan. Cook on 375 degrees for 45 to 1 hour.


MY TIPS AFTER YEARS OF PERFECTING:
Try lesser time with larger (9x13) pan. If doubling, make sure the "batter" isn't more than 1 1/2 inches high. However, nothing in this dish is "harmful" if not cooked all the way--so if the center is a bit gooey--eat up anyway! Also, if doubling, only add an extra 30 min. I sometimes like cooking it longer until the edges are really browned--it makes for a few crunchy bites! Make sure your pan is greased. Just trust me on this one. Just keep an eye on it in the oven and look for the brown edges and the center isn't "jiggly" when you move it.

I will be at my parents all weekend for the Easter holiday, so I won't be posting until Monday. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and please remember the reason for the season.

Jesus had no servants, yet they called Him Master.Had no degree, yet they called Him Teacher.Had no medicines, yet they called Him Healer.Had no army, yet kings feared Him.He won no military battles, yet He conquered the world.He committed no crime, yet they crucified Him.He was buried in a tomb, yet He lives today.

3 comments:

Cat Davis said...

Oh oh oh thank you so much for posting this. My sister has been making something similar for years but wouldn't tell me how she made it, I think THIS is it!

Melissa said...

that seems similar to what my husband's parents make, called cornbread pudding. it's one of my favorites :) thanks for posting!

Create With Joy said...

Thanks for joining me at Create With Joy. Your recipes look fabulous! I am following you back and look forward to getting to know you and swapping recipes via our blogs!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...