SWEET POTATO CUSTARD PIE
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes [I found this in a CAN--made the process much faster!]
1 cup sugar
2-1/2 tblsp butter, melted
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups scalded milk
Pinch of nutmeg
1 (9-inch) deep dish pie shell or 2 (9-inch) regular pie shells
- Mix potatoes, sugar, and butter; beat well.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla, milk and nutmeg; beat together well.
- Beat egg whites stiff, adding them last; stir well. Pour into pie shell(s).
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F for 20 minutes (deep dish may take longer). [I used deep dish, and increased the time to 40 minutes and 30 minutes]
- Test for doneness with a knife. Serves 8.
"Like" CookBook Ladies on FaceBook.
Follow on Twitter.
View & Follow CookBook Ladies' Blog.
To purchase this cookbook, Go to Quail Ridge Press.